Community and Grassroots Associations (CGA) Section
The purpose of the Section is to foster and express the interests of ARNOVA members
in community and grassroots associations, and to attract new members with these
interests. CGA is the oldest and one of the largest sections in ARNOVA.
Members represent a broad range of disciplines and are interested in such
areas as democratic participation, community organizations and organizing,
grassroots voluntary associations, self-help groups, community philanthropy,
faith-based groups, cooperatives, and social movements of any and all
kinds--in all parts of the world.
Visit the CGA blog.
The current leadership of the Section includes:
Jennifer Shea, President
Assistant Professor, MPA Program, School of Public Affairs & Civic Engagement,
San Francisco State University
Catherine E Wilson, President-Elect
Associate Professor, Political Science and Nonprofit Coordinator, MPA Program, Villanova University
Lehn M. Benjamin, Past President
Associate Professor, Lilly School of Philanthropy, Indiana University
Dave C. Campbell, Leadership Collective Member
Community Studies Specialist, Department of Human Ecology, University of California-Davis
Hector Cordero-Guzman, Leadership Collective Member
Professor, Baruch College, City University of New York
Stephen Danley, Leadership Collective Member
Assistant Professor of Public Policy and Administration, Rutgers University-Camden
Joon Kim, Leadership Collective Member
Graduate School of Public Administration, Kookman University
Erica Kohl-Arenas, Leadership Collective Member
Assistant Professor, Milano The New School for Management and Urban Policy
Professor, School of Public and International Affairs, Virginia Tech
David Suarez, Leadership Collective Member
Associate Professor, Evans School of Public Affairs, University of Washington
The Section's goals are to:
Create an open, transparent space for ARNOVA members interested in community and
grassroots associations to network and provide mutual support. This is done through:
- A regular newsletter featuring news and upcoming events of interest, member publications.
- Regular updates through a blog and other social media.
- An annual meeting and other networking opportunities at the annual ARNOVA Conference.
- Involve members in the planning and participation of the annual ARNOVA conference and ARNOVA committees.
- Encourage interest in community and grassroots associations with emerging scholars and new members of ARNOVA.
- Stimulate discussion, collaboration, and theoretical development regarding community and grassroots associations.
Annual dues for the Section are $10.
Click here to join.